Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Is my mom homophobic? Opinions?

I am a male closeted gay 16 year old. About a year and a half ago I came to terms with my sexuality. A year and a half later, I am still the sole individual who knows. When I first accepted that I was gay, I had a general talk about homosexuality with my mother, just so I would be made aware of where she stood on the various issues. I suppose I came across as rather passionate about the topic in our discussion because she ended the talk by saying, "If you ever came out to me, I would accept you. I would be disappointed, but accept you nonetheless." The discussion quickly ended here since I had no choice but to come out or to change the subject. Since I was not ready to come out, the discussion ended. The word "disappointed" stung and continues to sting to this day. Over the past year, at various times, she has expressed that she does not think gays should get married or raise children. I also overheard her talking with her friend who said she had a dream that her child was gay. My mom responded, thinking she was being witty, by saying, "That's a nightmare, not a dream." I do not understand how my mom said she would accept me, and then goes on to express these borderline homophobic views. She never expresses any true hostility, and I truly believe she understands homosexuality as being an inborn trait and that all individuals deserve respect. It is just that she cannot let herself be comfortable with the idea of same-sex marriage and families. She is an extremely loving and supporting mother. Maybe knowing that her son is gay would be enough to quickly changer her views. What do you think, is she homophobic? Is coming out not a good idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment